The Swaziland flag is based on a flag given to the Swazi Pioneer Corps by King Sobhuza II in 1941. On the flag there is an Emasotsha shield laid horizontally. The shield is reinforced by two assegais-local spears and a staff which had feathers of the widowbird as well as the loury. The flag contains five bands coloured blue, yellow and red. The center red band is the largest of the bands and the colour represents the past battles. The two blue bands symbolize peace and stability while the yellow stands for the resources of Swaziland. The shield and spears in the center represent protection from the nation’s enemies. The Swaziland flag was adopted on October 6, 1968.