37-HS-210 – Francisco
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
The flag of the Dominican Republic was adopted on November 6, 1844. The flag contains a white cross that divides the flag up into four rectangles. The top rectangles are coloured blue on the hoist and red on the fly and at the bottom they are red on the hoist side and blue on the fly. In the center of the flag is the national coat of arms. The coat of arms contains a shield with colours similar to those of the flag. The shield is being held up by a Bay Laurel branch and a Palm Frond. Under the shield the words “Republica Dominicana” appear on a red ribbon and on a blue ribbon at the top is the national motto “Dios, Patria, Libertad” (God, Nation, Liberty). In the center of the shield there are three spears holding up a Dominican banner on both sides with a small gold cross and a bible that is opened to Gospel of John 8:32 which reads “Y la verdad os hara libre” (and the truth shall make you free).